Friday, September 28, 2012

Portland - Eugene - San Fran - Pacific Coast Highway (PHOTOS)

Friend us on Facebook for live photos and updates from the road!

Greetings from Santa Fe, New Mexico!  This is my 59th day on the road, my 28th state, 9,500th mile, and I've passed out over 7,000 postcards.  Wow, it's starting to add up!

Here's a little bundle of digital postcards for ya:


(Portland, OR) This is my half-assed homage to Anthony Bordain (FYI, a great writer in addition to TV personality) because I didn't actually eat the doughnuts, but they did smell phenomenal - sweet sweet delicious air! - like car exhaust would smell if cars were made out of bread and ran on sugar - and I did pass out postcards to several hipsters in line (it snaked out the door, around the corner) who were "pretty stoked" about getting donuts (sorry doughnuts) with fruit loops on top.  So you heard it here first, boutique doughnuts are the new cupcakes. 



(Portland, OR)  Little known fact...this sign was first used at the Constitutional Convention of 1787, in Philadelphia. After long hours of writing and arguing - hammering out the bylaws upon which our republic is founded - the constitutional delegates would "flip the switch" and a disco ball would fall from the ceiling.  Ben Franklin was known to stand on the tables and do stand up comedy in his underwear.  Tuesday night was Karoake, Thursday night was wings, and Friday was half priced jugs of ale from 5-7.  No one is quite sure how the sign ended up in Portland.  True story.         



(Portland, OR) The Memory Mobile has been a total stranger magnet.  No matter if I'm gone for 8 hours or 8 minutes, there's always at least one person (if not a small crowd) hunched over it when I return, staring at the photos (or taking photos of the photos with their phones.)

"What's the deal?" they ask. 

"It's a long and beautiful story," I say, smirking.  "The short version is..."

So, I figured I'd start taping postcards to the outside whenever it was parked in public, like those little tabs you tear off when you need a babysitter, or a guitar lesson, or a Spanish language partner.
 


(Eugene, OR) This was my Friday night dinner, a variation from the bread and peanut butter combo I keep in "the pantry" behind the driver's seat. 

And then, the very next day...




BAM!  Look how fancy I got in Napa, CA. 







This is Bodie, and also the exact face I made when driving across the Golden Gate bridge into San Francisco.  









(San Fran) I visited The Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease at UCSF, where very smart people (like my friend Lillian) are unraveling the mystery of the brain and working toward a cure for Alzheimer's.  This particular lab is investigating a cutting edge theory that rogue "preons" - tiny, subatomic proteins - may be the cause of Alzheimer's. (Disclaimer: I probably explained that poorly.)








(San Fran) While I was there I figured I'd just save everyone a bunch of time and just go ahead and cure Alzheimer's.  When they gave me the lab coat and rubber gloves, I was feeling pretty optimistic.  I fiddled with that thing that looks like a rice cooker for about 8 seconds while everyone in the lab looked on in horror.  "Relax," I said, "I got a C-minus in chemistry once."  That didn't help.  Fortunately, I didn't break anything and the research goes on.    



(San Fran) From Golden Gate Park...this was about the coolest tree I'd ever seen.  Doesn't it look straight out of a children's book?  Speaking of children's books...  


This brought back the memories....


Before leaving San Fran it was time to re-load with postcards!


(San Fran / Alcatraz) Just after this picture was taken Nicholas Cage ran past holding a large vile full of green goop, yelling "It's gonna blow!  It's gonna blow!" and dove into the Bay.  He does this all the time, apparently. 




(Monterey, CA) This was my lunchtime view before driving down the Pacific Coast Highway.  Check out the photos and videos below for a glimpse of that experience.  As a rule, you can assume that anything you see in these cell phone photos looked 10x cooler in person. 











Gosh darn, this world can be really beautiful, can't it?

NEXT TIME: LA, San Diego, Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment